The Private Helicopter Pilot Course will familiarize the student with the helicopter, flight controls and their flight characteristics, the flight environment and a multitude of maneuvers learned over the course of instruction. At the end of the Private Helicopter Pilot Course, you will have acquired the aeronautical knowledge and flight proficiency necessary to be a rated helicopter pilot. Independent Helicopters offers a 30 minute introductory lesson that counts as part of your training. It is a wonderful way to see what it’s like to fly.
No previous experience is necessary to start training. We often hear new students ask how many hours they need in an airplane before learning the helicopter. The answer is zero. Some new students were even convinced that a fixed wing license was necessary before starting in a helicopter. Thankfully, this is also just folklore. Our program is designed to start someone with zero experience.
Private Pilot – Helicopter FAA Rating Requirements
• Minimum 17 Years Old to Take Flight Test (age 16 for Student Pilot & Solo). Can Begin Training at Any Age
• Must Read, Write, Understand, and Speak English
• Obtain a FAA Medical Certificate (Prior to first Solo Flight)
• Pass an FAA Written “Knowledge Test” (Prior to Taking FAA Practical Flight Test)
• Complete 40 hours Minimum Flight Time Including 10 hrs of Solo Flight (See details below)
• Pass an FAA Oral and Practical Flight Test
Note: No Prior Airplane or Aircraft Experience is Required to Earn a Helicopter License.
(For those with no prior pilot training. Minimum of 40 flight hours required).
Required Private Pilot Flight Training Experience. Ref FAR 61.109 ©
40 Hours (Minimum) Total Pilot Time in Helicopters Must Include:
• 30 hours of “dual” flight instruction and 10 hours of “solo” flight
• 3 hours of dual cross-country flight training
• 3 hours dual instruction at night
• One (1) 75 nautical-mile cross-country Solo flight with one (1) 25 nautical-mile “leg”
• At least 3 hours of Cross-Country Solo flight
• 3 Solo Take-offs and Landings at an Airport with an Operating Control Tower